Queens Puzzles Hints
Location - Queen Bee
- Bold words in the flavour text are very useful.
- "Base" and "six" are the key words here. If it helps, binary is base two.
- Visited left bees and right bees are helpful bees.
- In base six, a number like 14 is worth ten in decimal. To calculate base six, multiply the first digit by six and add it to the second digit. So 32 would be (3x6)+(2x1)=twenty in decimal. Each hexagonal cell represents a letter in base six. The bees on the bottom left are worth six, on the bottom right are worth one.
- Follow the queen bee's path to see what message she's spelling out. The message starts "PUT...."
- The message is PUT A RING ON IT SINGER
Queen's Biggest Fan
- Look at each plate's border - Notice anything out of the ordinary?
- Each plate has morse code in the border.
- What could the numbers form when using the "center"?
- Create a clock orintation for each plate around the one that is center.
- Each fact can be applied to the clock to form a common encoding.
- Use semaphore to get final answer.
- ANSWERQueen Mother
Piece De Resistance
- Don't know Chess?Click here.
- You want to take turns making normal chess rules and recording them until there's only one piece left
- The first four queen moves are: W->C1 B->F5 W->G5 B->E6
- The next four queen moves are: W->D5 B->E7 W->D2 B->C5
- The final four queen moves are: W->B4 B->F8 W->E7 B->E7
- Note the flavortext and the fact that a chessboard has 8 directions you can move any piece.
- You'll want to use semaphore where the first flag is the direction of the White Queen's move and the second flag is the direction of the Black Queen's move.
- Don't know Poker?Click here.
- Perhaps start with the best possible hand and work backwards.
- The hands are 2-pair, a straight, a flush, and a 4 of a kind.
- Look at the marks on the cards two cards at a time.
- Arrange each hand left to right, with rank decending and the suits reverse-alphabetical within cards of the same rank (standard Poker/Bridge suit ranking)
- ANSWERQueen of Hearts
Drama Queens from Queens
- Notice there are 15 neigborhoods and 15 people at the party.
- Each clue should match up fairly easily with one of the neighborhoods. Googling clue words and/or nieghborhood might help.
- The flavortext is cluing you to find the minimum number of intersections you need to traverse to get to the party from each home.
- There's an easy way to do this, and know you're right, involving labeling each intersection.
- The house in Bay Side requires 9 intersections, yet "Bay Side" only has 7 letters in it. What has 9 letters?
- Index the distance into the name to get the letter for each clue.
- ANSWERFreddie Mercury
Meta - Quotable Queens
- Notice the symbols in each corner, and how they are oriented.
- There is a familiar similarity among many of the repeated symbols on the page
- Have you checked your code sheet?
- Look for symbols matching the words in the NATO alphabet on your code sheet
- Googling "<queen> <word>" where the word is a word you've found in the puzzle might help you find the right quote.
- Queen Mum's QuoteThat’s the way you should live your life, as it tomorrow you’ll be run over by a big red bus
- Freddie Mercury's QuoteI won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.
- RuPaul's QuoteIf you don't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?
- Queen of Heart's QuoteOff with her head!
- What's left once you've eliminated all the symbols used in all four of the quotes?
- ANSWERHappy 90th Birthday
Bonus - Blockbuster Redux
- Do any words/phrases stick out to you from within the flavor text?
- What could “my favorite song” be referring to?
- Keep in mind this month’s theme.
- What is the pattern of the numbers/letters on each movie picture?
- How do the numbers/letters at the end of each grid row compare to this pattern?
- How can these numbers/letters be applied to the song identified?
- The song is Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.
- Use the song lyrics to match to the movie scenes provided.
Specific Movie Hints
- 31WLJimmy Stewart at his brother’s grave, whose life he remembers saving as a child back in 1919.
- 3Mark Wahlberg and his best friend sing a song to the heavens to ease their fears. Did you notice the corner logo? [Can logically only fit in one grid row.]
- 13GMJack Nicholson getting taken from a courtroom, while Tom Cruise looks on. What is Jack’s famous line?
- 39RThe warden and inmate Morgan Freeman are surprised to find a large hole within the cell wall of another prisoner.
- 35SStephen Baldwin ambushes a powerful man’s assistant. No Oscar winner Kevin Spacey to be seen #1. [Highlighted letter can be surmised without knowing movie title.]
- 7Kate Winslet makes a promise to Leonardo DiCaprio in very frigid waters.
- 67RWhat do you see in the image besides Tom Hanks and company?
- 86Thora Birch and Wes Bentley watch a video of pure beauty, a bag blowing in the breeze. No Oscar winner Kevin Spacey to be seen #2.
- 22TAWhat do you see in the image besides George Clooney and Anna Kendrick?
- 73TCFIf the movie cannot be recognized, did you notice the candy bar near the boy?
- 72Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen welcome a new baby into the world.
- 34OWSLeonardo DiCaprio chucking copious amounts of cash.
- 42SElizabeth Banks sneaking out after a one-night stand.
- IITRL“is this the real life? is this just fantasy?” - The Matrix (3 6)
- LU“look up to the skies” - ET: The Extra-Terrestrial (11TE)
- PAG“put a gun against his head” - The Usual Suspects (35S)
- MLH“mama, life had just begun” - Knocked Up (72)
- BNIG“but now I’ve gone and thrown it all away” - The Wolf of Wall Street (34OWS)
- CO“carry on, carry on” - Up in the Air (22TA)
- TLMT“too late, my time has come” - Back to the Future (42TF)
- GLYA“gotta leave you all behind and face the truth” - A Few Good Men (13GM)
- ISW“I sometimes wish I’d never been born at all” - It’s a Wonderful Life (31WL)
- ISA“I see a little silhouetto of a man” - Saving Private Ryan (67R)
- TA“thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening” - Ted (3, also with Fandango logo in lower left corner)
- HJAPB“he’s just a poor boy from a poor family” - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (73TCF)
- NL“never let you go” - Titanic (7)
- OMM“oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia” - Mamma Mia! (53)
- SYTYC“so you think you can love me and leave me” - Walk of Shame (42S)
- JGGO“just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here” - The Shawshank Redemption (39R)
- AT“anyway the wind blows” - American Beauty (86)
- Try reading in columns
- Highlighted Cell TextMISS CROW SANG ABOUT THIS THOMAS CROWN ACTOR
- “Miss Crow” refers to Sheryl Crow. “Thomas Crown” refers to the movie The Thomas Crown Affair.
- FINAL SOLUTIONSTEVE McQUEEN