July 2019 - 50th Anniversary of the Apollo Mission
Tap on any hint box to view it.
- Note the prevalence of words and phrases such as “final”, “in the end”, “ultimate”, “concluded”, etc.
- Once you’ve identified the things referred to by the six clues, take the final letter of each to spell the answer.
- The six clue answers are VIRGIN GALACTIC, GALILEO, HUYGENS, GUS GRISSOM, APOLLO, NEW HORIZONS
- The answer is COSMOS.
Message from Orbit
- Focus first on the two lines under the title. The dots, dashes and x’s represent the title in Morse, with one x between consecutive letters and two x’s between words. There is one digit for each pair of symbols above it.
- Each of the nine possible two-symbol combinations is represented by the same digit every time that combination occurs.
- The digit 9 is not given at the top, but by process of elimination, you can determine that it represents x—
- Substituting the proper pair of symbols for each digit at the bottom, and reading the resulting Morse message yields the answer
- YOUR ANSWER IS BEEPING.
- In a subtraction, when a number in the rightmost column is subtracted from itself, the result must be 0 [zero].
- When a number in a non-rightmost column is subtracted from itself, the result can only be 0 [zero] or 9 (it will be 9 if the column to the right “borrowed 1”).
- Consider the case of a number A, which when multiplied by four different non-zero digits B, C, D, and E yields products ending in B, C, D, and E respectively. A must equal 1. (6 exhibits a similar pattern, but in a smaller number of cases; e.g. 6*2 = 12, 6*4 = 24, 6*8 = 48.)
- BY COMPUTER.
- complete the math problem on the bottom to get the final answer
- Take note of the following: The puzzle title is “Unmanned”; the shortest space in the grid is two letters long, but the shortest entry in the word list is five letters long; every entry in the word list contains the substring MAN.
- Remove the substring MAN from every entry and then deduce where it fits in the grid.
- When you have filled in the grid and extracted the letters from the gray squares, take note of this clause in the flavortext: “that would be manned”.
- Insert the string MAN somewhere in the string of extracted letters.
- The answer is COMMAND MODULE.
- The clue answers are STALK, SLINK, BLANK, BRAND; SEEP, BEER, LEAR.
- The 4-letter word ladder is STEP, SEEP, BEEP (or SEER), BEER, BEAR (or LEER), LEAR, LEAP.
- The 5-letter word ladder is SMALL, STALL, STALK, STANK, STINK, SLINK, BLINK, BLANK, BLAND, BRAND, GRAND, GRANT, GIANT.
- TAKES LADDER.
META - Launch Windows
- The answer lengths are easily matched to rocket heights. Write them in top to bottom, as in a crossword puzzle.
- The drone (solid black square) will gather telemetry at specific times. For instance the leftmost drone will do so at 1917, 1918, 1919, and 1920.
- Given the launch times for each rocket, calculate where each rocket will be when the drone is in its column, and extract the letter at the drone’s position.
- SPACE PROGRAM.